<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday

4/08/04

Pierce This...


As this blog has grown and matured, I’ve found that, among other things, it can be surprisingly therapeutic. In particular, I’ve become rather fond of using it to muse about things that I just don’t understated. Things like string theory, why Ken Lay isn’t in jail, or why my kids can’t for the life of them remember to flush the toilet.

In any case, another in the long list of things I don’t understand is body piercing. I suppose I can see the appeal of an old fashioned earring or tasteful bellybutton ring, (Mmm… bellybuttons. Yum.) but I am truly mystified by people’s compulsion to hang metal from their eyebrows, noses, nipples and assorted genitalia.

I assume that the motivation behind the tame, old fashioned piercing is the need for self expression, probably in much the same way that tattoos are considered art, but the extreme genital stuff obviously has sexual significance. But, if that’s the case, I’m still a little lost, because to me the notion of piercing genitals for sexual purposes is counterproductive. In short, rather than finding them stimulating, they make me giggle.

Anyway, in the interest of bringing this whole bit full circle, today I ran across a piece from the BBC illustrating the last frontier in jewelry: Eyeballs.

No kidding. It seems that if you have about $600, an amazing capacity for personal vanity, and ask nicely, the Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery in Rotterdam will implant a platinum half-moon or heart in your eye. Now really, despite my blathering on about not understanding things, this eyeball thing is truly inexplicable. Or, just plain yucky. Whichever.

Anyhow, now that I’ve gotten myself all worked up I think I’ll go lie on the couch and watch a little Spongebob. I understand Spongebob.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?