<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday

1/08/04

" I Wanna Work For Sega! "


CNN/Money Magazine yesterday printed a list of archaic jobs that are slowly dying out. The incremental loss of these professions, known as structural job loss, is apparently due to the fundamental changes that our economy and society are undergoing. In short, it seems that Elevator operators, Millwrights, Dressmakers and the like simply have no place in the 21st century.

As I read this I wondered if my oldest, who was siting next to me doing his homework, had any professional ambitions yet. I steeled myself and inquired, "Hey Sean, what do you want to be when you grow up?" After all, I thought, there might yet be time to talk him into becoming a dairy farmer or whatever.

The reply came without hesitation: "A video game tester for Nintendo." I must admit I flinched.

And from the doorway the little one piped up, "I wanna work for Sega!" I cringed just a little more.



Not being one to judge the Hopes and Dreams of others, I remembered the fact that when I was six I desperately wanted to be a garbage man so I could crunch stuff up in the big truck. Now, though, as an ostensible adult, I considered the potential benefits and possible social consequences of garbage man vs. Nintendo guy as profession, and they seem to me pretty evenly matched. Still, though, I’d have to choose garbage guy, if only because the benefits must be better.

No, wait, it’s the twenty first century and we’re allowed to follow the Muse. Screw the garbage truck, I’m off to play some Mario Party with the boys. Maybe I'll teach them to be sensible later.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?