<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday

Pirates of the Caribbean

(Days: 8 Pounds Lost: 10)


Say, why couldn't the ten-year-old kid get into the pirate movie? Because it was rated arrrrrrr!

Anyone who enjoys even a bit of nautical nonsense knows to thank Spongebob for that little gem. Or Squidward really, but anyhow, the point is my lovely bride and I got out and saw Pirates of the Caribbean.

It's actually pretty rare that we make it out to see movies; don't know why exactly, except that perhaps I'm afraid of commitment. Really. When we go out and about I hate the idea of being tied to a time and place. I like being able to head out for dinner and not know exactly where we're going. If it takes a while I'm happy to relax and have a drink at the bar, and if it goes quickly I'm happy to relax afterwards with a drink and dessert. Then maybe Barnes & Nobel for some coffee and a browse. Or whatever.

So, despite my fear of committing to a long stretch of sitting in the dark at a set time, we saw some pirating. And fine swashbuckling it was: 1- Johnny Depp's pirate was completely over the top and really very funny. (Let's not forget that there's a sad lack of talented character actors out there today; I'm really getting tired of Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson playing Mel Gibson.) 2- Although Orlando Bloom is a little geeky, his naive-but-earnest-young-man-in-love character worked fine as a foil for Depp's. 3- The special effects were sharp and effective without being overwhelming. (Like James Bond surfing an ice tsunami on a car hood or whatever? I about snorted Pepsi out of my nose, earning a sharp poke from my lovely bride.) 3- The chick... easy on the eyes and smart without being totally distracting. And finally, 4- Movie's got a great score. I'm a total sucker for a big, lush, orchestral boomity boomity while the swords are swinging and glinting in the moonlight.

Actually, it's just this sort of experience that makes me think, "Why don't we ever go to the movies more often? Hmm."



|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?